Medicine Hat: Be Fit For Life
Ever Active Communities in Medicine Hat builds off of the 40 year legacy of the Be Fit for Life Network, supporting active, healthy lifestyles across the lifespan. As a founding partner of the Moving and Choosing community, the team responds to local needs identified through engagements of the collaborative.
The team in Medicine Hat provides wellness opportunities for priority populations, including women and girls, newcomer youth, Indigenous youth, and gender and sexually diverse students, with a focus on reducing barriers to participation for individuals within these groups. Some of the projects and opportunities include:
- Free weekly Girls on the Move and Boys on the Move programming
- Everybody Plays school programming
- Seniors Fun & Fitness Classes
- Yoga Classes for all levels
- Youth Wellness Leader Certification
- Community Engagement on Wheels
- AMA Youth Run Clubs and support for school-led community fun walks and runs
- Moving & Choosing collaborative events including: Community Networking Forum, Student Wellness Leader Conference, Regional School Health Champion Workshop
As the community recovers from the pandemic, we are focusing on initiatives to support mental health, embracing nature, creating a sense of belonging and building community connections. Medicine Hat is known for collaborative efforts, and working together on these topics is no different.
- Moving and Choosing is promoting the theme of embracing nature through both community partnerships and comprehensive school health initiatives that feature student led wellness teams.
- Ever Active Schools’ Leagues of Play, funded by Canadian Tire Jumpstart, is creating a sense of belonging through engagement in sport in their afterschool and noon hour programming.
- The Resettlement through Recreation project continues to provide newcomers with physical activity opportunities and community experiences in Brooks and Medicine Hat.
- We are looking forward to hosting a first for our community in the Fall of 2023: the Adaptive Sport & Physical Activity Festival, in partnership with Medicine Hat Adaptive Sport & Recreation.