Resettlement Through Recreation
In response to the influx of Afghan families to Canada during the pandemic, Ever Active Schools is partnering with Jumpstart and local Resettlement Agencies to provide sport and recreation opportunities for newcomer youth.
- Supporting Canadian Tire Jumpstart Charities to provide free sports equipment and outdoor clothing to families as they quarantine upon arrival, for them to keep as they transition to their permanent home
- Training resettlement agency workers to include fun physical activities in their existing programming for youth
- Creating a bridge between resettlement agencies, new families and local sport and recreation programming, guided by cultural liaison workers, to provide culturally appropriate, sustainable access to physical activities
- Hosting "Family Fun Days" to connect parents to programming and showcase the value and fun of sport and recreation opportunities
- Connecting with provincial partners doing similar work with resettlement agencies across Alberta to share ideas, brainstorm challenges, and strengthen a network of support
This work would not be possible without the partnership of the following organizations: