They’re hard-working, selfless, dedicated, and a million other words for “awesome”. While this year has been hard on everyone in different ways, education professionals have pivoted with grace for the sake of our students’ health and well-being. Perhaps it’s time we turn the tables and send a little love and thank you back – after all, ‘tis the season of giving.
From one of our own with a teaching background, “gifts were not necessary or expected”, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give if you want to. Favourite teacher gifts received included handmade cards or gifts, which often reflect how students see their teacher, making them feel heard, noticed and understood; donations made to a charity on behalf of the teacher; and personalized gifts.
With that in mind, we’ve put together our top 10 ideas for ways to support the teachers in your life this year. Whether they are friends, family members, or they’re teaching your children, these gifts will show your appreciation and make their days a little easier.
FOR THE TEACHER WHO FORGETS TO TAKE CARE OF THEMSELF:
- A meal kit subscription to bring healthy food to their door. No grocery shopping or prep is a big win when your time is spent on other things.
- Something to help them rest and recharge, like an overnight getaway or streaming subscription.
FOR THE TEACHER WHO POURS THEIR HARD EARNED SALARY BACK INTO THEIR CLASSROOM:
- A gift card to their favourite school supply store. You know they’re buying class sets of supplies every year.
- Social and Emotional Shuffle Cards. These cards help teach students social and emotional skills through fun activities with many cross-curricular connections. In other words: useful for every teacher, every grade, and every subject.
FOR THE TEACHER WHO LOVES THE OUTDOORS:
- The EAS Box. A winter-themed box full of activities and equipment to get the whole class moving outside, plus a few goodies just for the teacher.
- Outdoor recreation equipment, like snowshoes or a cornhole set.
FOR THE TEACHER WHO IS ALWAYS LOOKING TO IMPROVE THEIR PRACTICE:
- Registration for Shaping the Future 2021 virtual school health conference. This conference connects more than 400 delegates with experts in the fields of education, health, recreation and more to provide practical strategies that teachers can use right away.
- Noise-cancelling headphones to help them focus on educational podcasts, like The Podclass (coming soon).
FOR THE TEACHER WHO IS TRYING TO CHANGE THE WORLD:
- A donation in their name to Ever Active Schools, to support school health and wellness across Alberta.
- A superhero pin. Though it’s a small gesture, it’s something they can keep on their desk and see every day to remind them of their “why”.
No matter how big or small, a thank you goes a long way. From our team at Ever Active Schools, THANK YOU TEACHERS!