Menu, Recipes & Food Environment
*Please Note - we are currently updating the Healthy U resources, which will now sit on the Alberta Health Services website. Bear with us as we make this transition. Thank you for your understanding and we will have the links live very soon!*
- Snack Shack: A guide to implementing a Healthy Snack Canteen in schools. Use this resource from Alberta Health Services and the University of Lethbridge to help you set up a snack shack in your school or club/organization
- Check out p. 26 &27 for menu and pricing ideas
- Check out Recipes on p. 12-15, all recipes meet the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth, and are either Choose Most Often or Choose Sometimes.
- Alberta Health Services Single Serving Packaged Food List: This list includes examples of packaged products available in Alberta that meet the Choose Most Often and Choose Sometimes criteria as listed in the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth. It was created to help schools, childcare facilities and recreation/community centres put the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth into practice.
- Alberta Health Services School Restaurant List: This resource provides a list of menu items from common restaurant chains that meet the Choose Most Often or Choose Sometimes criteria from the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth. It is meant to be used by schools to help implement the Alberta Nutrition Guidelines for Children and Youth.
- Find smoothie recipes that were a hit at Cardston Elementary here on: p.9-20
- Making the Move to Healthy Choices: This is a healthy eating toolkit for recreation, sport and community food service providers.
- Menu suggestions on p.8-20,
- Tips for planning meals for a tournament or special event on p.21-22,
- Recipes starting on p.37-44
- Coach.ca is a website full of resources for coaches. Check out this page for information on fueling the Young Athlete.
- Check out this handy snack handout developed by Ever Active Schools using snack ideas from some of our partners (Alberta Health Services, Alberta Milk and Apple Schools).
- Alberta Health Services School Nutrition Handbook: This handbook offers a starting point to change or improve the school nutrition environment, and to assist everyone involved in schools in making it easy to eat healthy.
- Check out Healthy choices for Special Events days on p.27
- Sample Menu and Food Preparation instructions from Soccer Tournament
- Sample Tournament Menu: This sample menu was developed my Pamela Boyson, a Population and Public Health Dietician for Alberta Health Services. This menu was used at a large community soccer tournament and was a hit.
- Westman Healthy Lifestyle Coalition Making the Move to Healthy Choices: This coalition provides awareness, education and makes available resources to encourage healthy food choices in community recreation facilities where families live, learn and play.